Clear the red carpet and get the crown ready! Beyoncé is coming to South Africa!
It has been confirmed that Beyoncée will be coming to South Africa in December 2018 and will be performing at the Global Citizen Festival for the #Mandela100 event. Not only is Beyoncé performing but the line up is HUGE and includes Ed Sheeran, Pharrell Williams and Usher. Cassper Nyovest and D’Banj are also on the bill. The festival will pay tribute to Nelson Mandela and celebrates 100 years on from his birth and five years from his death.
The show will take place at the FNB stadium in Johannesburg on the 2nd of December and Beyoncé will be joined by her husband Jay-Z as they revive the work they’ve done for the On The Run tours and previous festival shows.
But, before you dash to your computer to get onto the Computicket site, the tickets are FREE! Yes, you don't have to pay for them BUT you do have to earn them by going to www.globalcitizen.org.za and register in a campaign of your interest that fights poverty and, by 21 August, Global Citizen will ask you to earn your way to see Beyoncé perform live.
They will get in touch with you and ask you to do something which promotes their cause, like signing a petition, sharing social media posts or engaging with the charity in a way that raises awareness and takes affirmative action. Global Citizen basically aims to get “Global Citizens” into helping to make positive changes and contributing to the end of poverty. So far, their efforts have forced 130 policy changes across the world, and the website states that $30 billion has been raised.
Although Global Citizen is making fans earn their tickets, it might be an option from the 21st of August if the free tickets aren't all booked "which is highly unlikely" or perhaps Global Citizen is reserving a small number of tickets to sell.
Until then, these are the 5 steps you need to take to secure your free Global Citizen Festival ticket:
- Go to Global Citizen's website and sign up with your email address.
- Once you receive the thank you email, click the link provided in the email to start the process which will redirect you to a page that will ask you to register a cause you are interested in.
- Next, you have to "take action" which brings you to a page that allows you to sign petitions, share tweets and even send emails all on a pre-prepared basis in order to start earning a ticket. Each action you take part in towards joining in on the activism will give you points.
- Your points will be tallied, giving you a chance to enter draws for tickets for upcoming concerts. Although the same process will be implemented for Beyoncé's performance, there has been no set amount of points that users will have to earn yet.
- Global Citizen will then send you regular emails with updates for the competition and, shortly after signing up, Global Citizen suggests that “special bonus points” will available to users from Thursday 12 July. It’s understood that this may require more action than just tweeting and clicking. Anyone who does earn their tickets through the draw will be given two tickets per person.
Although its a pretty unusual way to get tickets for a concert, we have to admire the fact that even though Beyoncé is a badass, she still shows some compassion.